The Academy Then
In 1848, the Vermont legislature granted a chatrer for the Green Mountain Liberal Institute, established by a group of leading members of the Woodstock and South Woodstock region. Students numbering as many as two hundred were drawn from many parts of New England, New York, and the local area. They "boarded out" in surrounding homes and the local hotel (once owned by the Academy, and now the Kedron Valley Inn in South Woodstock).
Many of the students went on to college. When Tufts College in Massachusetts opened in 1855, nine of the fifteen students entering there came from the Academy.
The Green Mountain Perkins Academy's graduates include many who achieved great distinction in the church, in education, and in the law.
The Academy name was changed in 1859 to Green Mountain Institute, and in 1869 to Green Mountain Perkins Academy. With the development of public high schools, the number of attending students declined, and the Academy closed in 1898.